RABUN COUNTY, Ga – On October 15 at 6 p.m., the Mountain Judicial Circuit Family Violence Task Force will be hosting a domestic violence vigil.
Everyone is invited to attend the virtual event via the task force’s Facebook page. Speakers include The Honorable Chief Judge Chan Caudell, Toccoa Police Chief Jimmy Mize, and Point Church Pastor Chad Smith. Judge Gerald Johnson will perform a solo.
October is domestic violence awareness month and with COVID-19, the number of victims of abuse has sharply risen.
Here are some domestic violence statistics from No More Campaigns:
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience violence from their partners in their lifetimes.
- 1 in 3 teens experience sexual or physical abuse or threats from a boyfriend or girlfriend in one year.
- 1 in 5 women are survivors of rape.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 6 men have experienced sexual violence in their lives.
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men were sexually abused before the age of 18.